Welcome to WatercoolingUK Community Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Core i7 920 @ 3.69 ghz, any ideas on how to get higher without raising vcore?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Astridax93

Astridax93

Level 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Well, ive managed to get my pro at 3.69ghz stable, any higher I seem to have to raise the vcore. I don't really want to do this as my temps are already at 75 degrees c at 100% load on Linx. I can't seem to get my ram to it's rated 1600mhz either, it seems to lessen the ram by 2gb, which I already have problems with as 6gb is installed and only 4 recognised by windows.

Any ideas to get to 4.0 ghz+, atm the vcore is 1.12, bclk is 170. At 1.25 vcore i couldn't get 181 bclk to be stable causing me to raise the vcore again... It cause temps to go to 92 degrees.

Aaron

Aaron

There's ALWAYS room for a quad rad!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts
Ill address yr ram issue. Increase yr BCLK to 200 but drop yr multiplier to 13 or 14(3.6 or 3.8ghz)
Depending on yr other memory settings(on a gigabyte its "System Memory Multiplier" which gets set to 8)this will enable you to hit 1600mhz on the RAM.

Project 'S'

Cosmos S - i7 920 DO @ 4Ghz - Gigabyte EX58-UD5
GTX 275 - 6Gb OCZ Gold 1600Mhz
PA120.4 - XSPC DDCBAYTWO - HF Nickel - EK FB

I love chicken chargrills

Astridax93

Astridax93

Level 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
I managed to get it higher in the end, but failed to get the full 6gb still. Also when I got the ram speed up it reduced the ram recognised. I looked on the asus forums about the ram not being recognised, there are loads of people with this issue. One of the posts said the Vtt/QPI voltage had to be within 0.5V of the Dram voltage, I tried every combination even on the lower ram speed, but alas it failed :(.

Astridax93

Astridax93

Level 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
I have just tried what you said Aaron and I managed to get the bios to post with 200 bclk and 14x multi, when I put the ram up to 1603mhz the ram recognised dropped to 2gb. I also cannot find the dram multiplier settings, the asus boards tend to automatically scale the multipliers for you and you just have to change voltages and frequencies

Astridax93

Astridax93

Level 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
anyone?

BrightCandle

BrightCandle

Level 9

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
3.7 Ghz overclock - Without getting better cooling you're not going to go further. 75C is on the high side already and you need extra volts to go past about 3.7-3.8 on all of the Nehalem range CPUs. That is your maximum without getting better cooling so you can up the voltage.

4GB RAM - Are you running 32 bit Windows by any chance (ie XP or Vista or Windows 7 32)? That would explain why you only see 4GB.

2GB RAM - This is suspiciously like a problem I had with my Gigabyte X58 Extreme, and I note you've got a similar motherboard. Mine was faulty and needed replacement.

Astridax93

Astridax93

Level 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
I'm running windows 7 x64 pro, I started with 6gb but it went down to 4 some while ago. CPU Z recognises 6gb, however windows and the bios do not. :(

It hits 65 when doing a bench, it's only when I really try to stress it with LinX that it hits 75 degrees. I did try to get it to 3.8 with 1.25v vcore however it was unstable, I tried with the higher voltage and it was stable but the temps went to 92-95 degrees!

The cooler I am using now is a Titan Fenrir with a stock fan. It apparently was a good air cooler, however my case airflow isn't brilliant. I have a Coolermaster Cosmos, not the S version because I like the door on the 1000. This case was more built for noise abatement rather than airflow. All my case fans are stock coolermaster ones as well.

I really want to get water cooling and will as soon as I can afford it, I have a couple of things to sell on ebay so this should help.

The main concern is getting 6gb of ram though. I've tried everything, I may just take the board back and hopefully get a new one. To be honest I'd like a refund because I wasn't impressed with the over clocking settings on the Asus, I can't change the multipliers.

BrightCandle

BrightCandle

Level 9

• Members
  • 913 posts
The Nehalem CPUs are multiplier locked, they can only go down (well unless you spend 1000 on one).

It really does sound like precisely the same problem I had. The bios would show all the memory and its timings but in Windows I was down to 4GB. CPU-Z could also read the memory but I could not actually use it. It appeared I had a faulty first slot on the motherboard. In the end I lost faith in Gigabyte's motherboard and replaced it with a Foxconn Bloodrage which I've been really happy with so far.

Astridax93

Astridax93

Level 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Right thankyou for your support BrightCandle, at least I know I'm not going crazy :D. Yeah, tests show it is the first slot that isn't working. I'm going to take my motherboard/computer in tomorrow. Hope they recognise the problem. I'm going to ask for a refund.

On another note, any idea how i can get the 4.0ghz mark. Is it a case that my case cooling (excuse the pun :)) isn't good enough?

Also If I got a refund on a motherboard, which X58 brand boards do you think are the best from an overclocking/reliability point of view.

BrightCandle

BrightCandle

Level 9

• Members
  • 913 posts
I have never run an i7 on air cooling so I don't know how well air does really. The benchmarks [1] I have looked at suggest deltas of 30+ C are quite normal on high end air for a 3.8 Ghz overclock so I guess you are in the right ballpark with your air cooling.

[1] http://www.legitrevi...article/1285/5/

Phoenixdancer

Phoenixdancer

Eyefinity Guru

• Members
  • 2,887 posts
to get ram higher you need to up the volts in your CPU VTT

My Rig:
I7 3770k @ 4.8Ghz
16GB DDR3
Asus Maximus V MATX
2 x AMD 290X @ 1100/1300
XFX 1KW Platinum PSU
Parvum Custom made - Soon Core P5 Wall case
Cooling: 2 x ET45 Alphacool Copper, 2x 290x EK, 1x EK HF, D5, EK Tube, 10/13 White Tube.
Phillips 4k 40" Monitor

Astridax93

Astridax93

Level 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Right, fair enough thank you pheonix. Still doesn't explain the missing ram problem :P

reefer86

reefer86

Level 4

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
why will people not learn that asus motherboards are second best to most other manufacturers
My Rig.

Case : Corsair 800D
CPU : AMD X4 965 C3
Ram : 4Gb Crucial Tracers 1600 7-7-7-18
Motherboard : Gigabyte 790FXT-UD5P
Graphics : HIS 5870 - EK fullcover Block
Sound : XFI Titanium Pro
PSU : Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 750w
Storage : 80gb Intel SSD GX2 - 1Tb Storage
Cooling : Swiftech GTZ - EK 5870 FC Plexi -XSPC RS360 and XSPC RX120 - Xspc Res

Jacka

Jacka

Level 10

• Members
  • 1,712 posts

why will people not learn that asus motherboards are second best to most other manufacturers

:lol:
I like sausages, biscuits and beer, but not at the same time, that would be weird
Posted Image

msimon

msimon

Level 6

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
its probably because they asus share most of the market and so poeple automatically thinks they are the best in the business but their not.

Jacka

Jacka

Level 10

• Members
  • 1,712 posts
Best at what msimon? Computers have more that 1 application.
I like sausages, biscuits and beer, but not at the same time, that would be weird
Posted Image

msimon

msimon

Level 6

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
best in mobo manufacturing but their not.

everyone goes for asus because they have more market in mobo, their the first to come out with the new sockets for cpu, and so people think they are the best.

of course theirs more to it then that

BrightCandle

BrightCandle

Level 9

• Members
  • 913 posts
The early reviews for the X58 motherboards all said that the Asus motherboard was the best in terms of performance and overclocking. It also happened to have a decent slot layout.

Obviously later on other manufacturers released better motherboards, and everything is completely different with the second and third generation X58's, but there is no massive roundup showing which is better anymore, so the reviews you can find are either a roundup from a year ago or individual boards. Its no wonder that Asus still sells.

Astridax93

Astridax93

Level 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Yes that summary was very apt bright candle. Yes at the beginning many reviews and roundups concluded that Asus P6T was the best. Initially when I went to OCuk I was going to buy a biostar, which in a review I read was rated highly for overclocking ability. However when I asked for advice the guy serving me suggested Asus, feeling stupid for not taking advice I chose to heed it. I wish I had had confidence in my own knowledge.

An update however is that I am annoyed with Overclockers UK. I lugged my hugely heavy pc downstairs and into the car, scratching it in the process. When I arrived at OCuk they told me they no longer did computer repairs and that I would have to bring the motherboard back on its own :<. When I asked them if I could borrow a screw driver their reply was... I can't lend you one due to health and safety purposes, we don't have the necessary insurance! So I was left to bring it back. I'm hopefully taking the motherboard in on Wednesday as Asus won't accept it, you need to return it to the reseller.

msimon

msimon

Level 6

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
lol they couldn't give a screwdriver to borrow because of health and safety, lmao what has the world come to:o

what you gonna do, kill people with a screw driver in the shop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users