Welcome to WatercoolingUK Community Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

New dartfrog vivarium

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

Delgado

Delgado

Frog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts
Hello :)

Well, I really enjoyed setting up my current vivarium, but there were lots of things I realised I could have done better. I'm planning a new build now which should cater better for a condensation-free viewing glass, automatic draining and better lighting. Here's an initial sketchup, based on a 24" x 12" x 15" aquarium stood on its end.

Posted Image

More as it develops (probably slowly). This will be home to a pair of these or similar thumbnail species, depending on what's available

Posted Image
All arrays Chuck Norris declares are of infinite size, because Chuck Norris knows no bounds.

Mattmc91

Mattmc91

Level OH MY GOD

• Members
  • 3,540 posts
amazing little frogs, almost as if they've been photoshopped!

ACE1981

ACE1981

WaterCooling/Modding ftw

• Members
  • 2,515 posts
look at those colours lol [look as some person painted it]

amazin colours tho ... that blue on legs does it glow in dark?

PROJECT EARTH

Delgado

Delgado

Frog

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
Hehe I think probably not unfortunately :)
All arrays Chuck Norris declares are of infinite size, because Chuck Norris knows no bounds.

fido

fido

Level 9

• Members
  • 1,077 posts
UV frogs......nice!!!

Are they those poisonous frogs:|?

swift_wraith

swift_wraith

Level 8

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts
unless delago's got a DWA licence i seriously doubt they'd be poisonous (and if you do can I have one too, i wanna komodo dragon, a rattlesnake and animal from the muppets).

is the tank shell gonna be custom made or is it an exxo-terra one? Just got an exxo the other week and am sorting it out with a planted viv ineterior for some crested geckos.
Intel Quad 8200, 2gb Corsair Twin X, DFI Lanparty Jnr, XFX 260 Black Edition, 2.75tb of Samsung Spinpoints, Corsair HX1000w Psu, Coolermaster Cosmos-S case, Generic 19" Monitor, Logitech G15 & Razr Diamondback.

Delgado

Delgado

Frog

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
Captive darts are non-poisonous :) In the wild their toxins come from their environment - certain plants are eaten by certain insects which are then eaten by the frogs who absorb and concentrate these chemicals (usually alkaloids) in their skin. In captivity we feed them fruit flies fed on porridge mixture - no toxins to absorb.
I wouldn't want to touch a frog recently brought in from the wild as the toxins can take a couple of months to fade away, but then I would never buy wild caught anyway. Considering the destruction of natural habitat, the majority of responsible dart keepers are focusing on building on thriving populations within captivity.

The tank shell will be a 24" aquarium laid on its end and I'll build the front onto it :) The two critical parts of this build are going to making it automatically draining so I can mist very heavily and to sort a good venting system so I can actually see in :D

Delgado

Delgado

Frog

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
Hmmm so I ended up having a bit of a change of plan. Wandered into a garden centre last weekend and came across this aquatlantis viv:

Posted Image

Same volume as what I'd planned and with all the features I wanted to include. Sort of meant to be really.

It's 2ft x 1ft x 15" high.

A nice guy from aquatlantis got back to me a couple of days ago and confirmed it's all float glass. So time to get a hole drilled in it for drainage! First one so probably got over-prepared: scrap of polycarbonate as a cutting guide, blu-tack, water. Wouldn't bother with the masking tape again, it got minced instantly and was totally pointless.

Posted Image

Half way

Posted Image

Hurray, done! :D

Posted Image

(the viv will sit on a base so there will be space underneath to fit the bulkhead)

swift_wraith

swift_wraith

Level 8

• Members
  • 833 posts
how much did the viv set you back?

also, what type of drill bit was used?
Intel Quad 8200, 2gb Corsair Twin X, DFI Lanparty Jnr, XFX 260 Black Edition, 2.75tb of Samsung Spinpoints, Corsair HX1000w Psu, Coolermaster Cosmos-S case, Generic 19" Monitor, Logitech G15 & Razr Diamondback.

Delgado

Delgado

Frog

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
Viv was about £65, hole was cut with a 21mm diamond core drill (about £2 on ebay)

*Alex*

*Alex*

Level 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
nice one dude, looking foward to seeing it all set up, i just got myself a pac man frog the other day =]

Delgado

Delgado

Frog

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
Heh Horned Frogs are great, good luck with him/her :D - pictures?

I have added mesh now to the bottom and top vents:

Posted Image
Posted Image

And sloping glass siliconed in to direct water to the bulkhead at the back and minimise the volume of standing water. A Strip of eggcrate will sit along the back. Trying to keep the weight down wherever possible.

Jacka

Jacka

Level 10

• Members
  • 1,713 posts
What sort of temperature do the little chaps like?

Delgado

Delgado

Frog

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
Just room temperature is fine for them, no dedicated heating required unless it's a particularly cold house. The heat from the lighting and the greenhouse effect of a glass box will keep the air temp in there a few degrees higher than the room too. Anywhere between 70-80 degrees F is fine with a drop into the high 60s at night acceptable :)

Jacka

Jacka

Level 10

• Members
  • 1,713 posts
Are they fairly high maintenance or hard to get hold of?

Delgado

Delgado

Frog

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
Maintenance - not much, no cleaning out required as the very small amount of waste is broken down quickly and feeds the plants. Depending on the level of ventilation the only daily task really is misting to maintain humidity and feed with fruit flies.

Availability - the commoner species appear in some place regularly, the aquatics section of a local garden centre has some in most of the time. Other types can be shipped from online sellers like dartfrog.co.uk or you can get in touch with other breeders and keepers through forums much like this one :)

swift_wraith

swift_wraith

Level 8

• Members
  • 833 posts
always lots going on rfuk.co.uk ;)

Marcus

Marcus

Speed & Tickets

• Administrators
  • 7,305 posts
You've got me all curious now! :lol:

What about noise?
Could you keep them in a bedroom or would the noise drive you crackers?

marcus.jpg

Jacka

Jacka

Level 10

• Members
  • 1,713 posts
Ribbit.

Delgado

Delgado

Frog

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
Darts are active in the day-time. The males of most species do have an audible call, but when you're asleep they're asleep too.

- I do lurk a bit on rfuk.co.uk from time to time, although haven't registered as yet :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users