Welcome to WatercoolingUK Community Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Have not got a clue what career/job I want to do!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

Pablo

Pablo

Monster Hunter MK2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,274 posts
Thanks Bex,

Yeah, not intended to upset anyone, thats for sure, just wanted give people a reality check really.

Maybe some years ago, not so bad, but really is an employers market now, theres plenty people out there that will do a job, if someone else wont, and cheaper etc etc.

prosser13

prosser13

Gaffa tape and WD40...

• Members
  • 1,891 posts
But don't forget some jobs do need degrees to get into.
Posted Image

BrightCandle

BrightCandle

Level 9

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
Jobs are about producing things that other people want, that singular fact is the most important thing to know about jobs. Just getting a job is a life sustaining thing, but you should be aiming for something different in life, a proper calling.

How do you determine what that calling is? Chances are your already doing it in your spare time. Your hobbies are a great place to find opportunities to offer something to the rest of the world, its there I would look for inspiration first as its what currently interests you.

Mattmc91

Mattmc91

Level OH MY GOD

• Members
  • 3,540 posts
I'm going to be an adult actor!

Pablo

Pablo

Monster Hunter MK2

• Members
  • 3,274 posts
Yep would hate to be in job i didnt like, but its just finding a job at moment, and to get one you like aswell, prob isnt easy.

I want my old job back :(, but that aint happening.

Matt, adult actor, only another 18 years for you to go then he he.

Mattmc91

Mattmc91

Level OH MY GOD

• Members
  • 3,540 posts

Yep would hate to be in job i didnt like, but its just finding a job at moment, and to get one you like aswell, prob isnt easy.

I want my old job back :(, but that aint happening.

Matt, adult actor, only another 18 years for you to go then he he.

36? I'd be catching up to you.

I mean I knew you worked with wood. but, eh?

Rincewind

Rincewind

Level 7

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts
I know exacly what I want to do! Be a PFY sysadmin! going Uni next year hopefully. finishing BTEC Soft Dev. now, I didnt put too much effort into the first year and regretting it now. I was predicted all destinctions, but got merits and passes on most, I just wont mention waht I got so far in my UCAS app, Ill just let them see my predicted grades =D. mabye a good personal statement and sorting my act out this year could get me to manchester uni.... (doutfully).
Now you will get ready for the zim zam and the babbidy bibbidy. and you will take off your clothes like zooofff zoom, and geat ready for the most magnificent pudding pop you have ever seen" - Bill Cosby

chocobo80

chocobo80

• Members
  • 12 posts

Hi all,

I don't know if any of you are in the same boat...but i've no idea which career path to choose! I'm 20 years old, I didn't go to college because I hadn't a clue what courses to take! I'm in a full time job, but It's not a career.

Any of you in the same boat?? What age were you when you knew what you wanted to do career wise?

Any advice??

thanks

Been there man, used to work for customs and had no higher education, sucked cheese. Thing is though, there is a job market which is crying out for people even in todays s****y times and thats engineering. Personally i did mechanical engineering apprenticeship with the merchant navy over the course of 3 years. During that time you get paid and have your tuition paid for you by your sponsor company and its pretty easy to get into ,because its a government grant paid to the employing companies to take on cadets. They send you to college for 6 months then off to sea then back for 6 months etc, during the sea phase you generally do one month at sea and a whole month off which you get to yourself. It really is a great thing to do, you get to travel, learn many skills (fire fighting, how to drive speedboats/life boats, advanced first aid) as well as the carrier path you choose. The months away can be hard, but when you make port in like japan, hong kong, brazil its amazing to just visit the places then when you come back your pay has piled up cause you aint spending anything! I know its not everyones cup of tea but i suggest looking it over as if you can pass the exams etc you are guaranteed a job with that company starting on around 30k per year income tax free.

I just wanted to let you know about this as it helped me out of a dead end job.

Hope things go well:)

Andy
core i7 965
Asus Rampage II extreme
12gb ddr3 corsair dominator
2x WD black 600gb
V8 cooler master
antec 1200
enermax galaxy 850w
2 x xfx nvidia 295 gtx

PeterStoba

PeterStoba

Level 7

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Been there man, used to work for customs and had no higher education, sucked cheese. Thing is though, there is a job market which is crying out for people even in todays s****y times and thats engineering. Personally i did mechanical engineering apprenticeship with the merchant navy over the course of 3 years. During that time you get paid and have your tuition paid for you by your sponsor company and its pretty easy to get into ,because its a government grant paid to the employing companies to take on cadets. They send you to college for 6 months then off to sea then back for 6 months etc, during the sea phase you generally do one month at sea and a whole month off which you get to yourself. It really is a great thing to do, you get to travel, learn many skills (fire fighting, how to drive speedboats/life boats, advanced first aid) as well as the carrier path you choose. The months away can be hard, but when you make port in like japan, hong kong, brazil its amazing to just visit the places then when you come back your pay has piled up cause you aint spending anything! I know its not everyones cup of tea but i suggest looking it over as if you can pass the exams etc you are guaranteed a job with that company starting on around 30k per year income tax free.

I just wanted to let you know about this as it helped me out of a dead end job.

Hope things go well:)

Andy

That sounds interesting! Any websites with more information?

Silverstone SG05B | i3 530 | Scythe Shuriken | DFI LanParty MI P55-T36 | 4GB Kingston HyperX 1333Mhz | XFX 5450 512MB | Samsung SN-T083C | Intel X25-V 40GB | Samsung F1 1TB

LGW2452TX-PF | Microsoft Arc Keyboard & Mouse | Logitech Z5500

chocobo80

chocobo80

• Members
  • 12 posts

That sounds interesting! Any websites with more information?

http://www.clydemarinetraining.com/ this is the bunch i went with but there is also SSTG, MAERSK and NORTH STAR that i know of :) Hope that helps

Andy
core i7 965
Asus Rampage II extreme
12gb ddr3 corsair dominator
2x WD black 600gb
V8 cooler master
antec 1200
enermax galaxy 850w
2 x xfx nvidia 295 gtx

grishenko45

grishenko45

Level 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
like everyone...i just wanna win the lottery and never work ever!

It doesn't matter what you water cool - it becomes extreme!

GarethS

GarethS

Level 5

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Shame I wasn't aware of that option when I finished (or even started) my Mech Eng degree chocobo as I would have jumped at the chance even if it wasn't the field I originally wanted to be in. The travelling probably would have got me back into photography a lot sooner ...

Though to be fair career support was pretty rubbish at my uni, being an engineering university they were pretty much "you're guarenteed a job we don't need to tell you anything" ... which obviously doesn't work as it took me 3 years from graduation to find an engineering related job.

And can't agree with "win lottery == retire". I'd buy some stuff that I wanted, emigrate (probably to Canada), buy a place there and start a new career with my old skills (engineering/health and safety implementation) and the balance of money from the lottery to back me up if it all went Pete Tong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users