Welcome to WatercoolingUK Community Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

How To: Install a CPU Water Block

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Marcus

Marcus

Speed & Tickets

• Administrators
  • 7,305 posts
**This is taken from the big water cooling guide we're putting together at the moment

Installing the CPU Block - EK Supreme

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here we have an Intel socket 775 motherboard - Asus P5K

Posted Image

Push the M4 bolts through from the underside of the motherboard, ensure you fit the metal washers FIRST and then the paper washers, this keeps the metal washers from making contact with the PCB.

Posted Image

Tighten up the M4 nuts, ensure the paper washers are in place to avoid any possible short circuits

Posted Image

Apply TIM to waterblock - see this thread for application methods
http://forum.waterco...read.php?t=1692

Posted Image

Push the springs onto the bolts and screw down with the thumbnuts.

Posted Image

Note: Use of a backplate is recommended, it helps prevent the mounting hardware from warping the motherboard and provides the CPU block with better surface contact.

marcus.jpg

Mattmc91

Mattmc91

Level OH MY GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,540 posts
as marcus said using a backplate is definately recommended.

even using the backplate warping can still happen, so be careful.

dazza

dazza

Oh Hai!

• Members
  • 2,082 posts
Would it not be better to lock the how to's so it don't clutter it up

Aidan

Aidan

• Members
  • 4 posts
I'm finding that the screws which hold the top plate to the copper base stick out too much at the bottom and rest on the CPU bracket housing, thus preventing good contact with the copper base and the CPU. :(

I guess I have couple of options, grind the screws (may not then be easy to remove in future) or put 2 or 3 washers at the top. Given that it was sealed when it arrived I'm not keen to remove the screws. Any advice?

Mattmc91

Mattmc91

Level OH MY GOD

• Members
  • 3,540 posts
Which block are you installing? I've never had a problem installing a waterblock :P

Aidan

Aidan

• Members
  • 4 posts
Its the same block as in this thread, an EK supreme, my m/b is an asus with identical CPU housing to the one in this thread as well. The screws must just be too long in my case. I can see 5 threads exposed at the bottom, so much so that if placed it flat down it would be resting on the four exposed screws, not the copper base.

Mattmc91

Mattmc91

Level OH MY GOD

• Members
  • 3,540 posts
I didn't experience this problem as I used a retention backplate, why don't you try one of those? available from the WCUK shop. provides better contact with CPU aswell!

Aidan

Aidan

• Members
  • 4 posts
I have the backplate but my problem is the screws in the block itself, not the parts that fasten the block to the board. If others are experiencing the same as me then their CPUs won't last very long as the copper base of the block simply isn't touching the CPU no matter how tight you fasten it - this is simply as those screws coming out of the bottom of the block are resting against the CPU housing.

Marcus

Marcus

Speed & Tickets

• Administrators
  • 7,305 posts
Get a photo of your block uploaded, it'll help loads. :)

marcus.jpg

Aidan

Aidan

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted Image

I'm very new to this forum so not that great at adding pics but I believe this link should illustrate the problem. Essentially the four black screws that hold the block to the copper base are sticking out too much. Apologies if I've not described this clearly enough before. Many thanks.

Edited by Bentleya, 22 March 2010 - 07:43 PM.
IMG Tags added to Image.

Mattmc91

Mattmc91

Level OH MY GOD

• Members
  • 3,540 posts
that's a Quality control problem mate, might want to RMA that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users